Home' Central Canterbury News : August 22nd 2012 Contents 4 CENTRAL CANTERBURY NEWS, AUGUST 22, 2012
Proud heritage endures as a
village reflects on 150 years
LOOKING BACK: John Smith, left,
Daniel Gallagher and Graham
Carpenter look over their, and
Prebbleton takes its name from the
Prebble family, which still has
descendants in the village. Richard and
William Prebble were the first European
family to settle in the district in 1852.
The first school was established in
The village was founded in 1862.
Residents unite in celebration
have travelled and
returned, as have
though it is fast-
growing, they all
Prebbleton as a
village -- a place
(or used to).
The anniversary celebrations
started in April with daffodil
bulbs planted to welcome
the next 150 years. They
culminate in October with an
art and essay competition
backed by the local school,
as well as a ''15 decade''
night and displays.
HREE MEN whose families are linked to
more than three centuries of combined
history in Prebbleton will be among those
lining up to celebrate the 150th anniver-
sary of the town later this year.
Daniel Gallagher, John Smith and
Graham Carpenter came to have a look
at some of the old photos gathered by the
village's heritage society in the Prebble-
ton Hall last week and share a few inter-
twined memories of their long connection
with the place.
All of their families came to Prebbleton
in the 19th century. They can pick out
great-grandparents and other family
members and houses where their famil-
ies lived -- from the black and white
The anniversary celebrations started
in April with daffodil bulbs planted to
welcome the next 150 years. They culmi-
nate in October with an art and essay
competition backed by the local school, as
well as a 15 decade'' night and displays.
The trio have never left the town for an
extended period, moving up the road
rather than to another town. Heritage
and continuity are important to them,
and Christchurch, Lincoln and the air-
port are only 10 minutes away.
Grown-up children have travelled and
returned, as have siblings ,and though it
is fast-growing they all still regard
Prebbleton as a village -- a place where
everyone knows everyone (or used to).
They recalled some of the big events
which affected the village.
The expansion of the Meadow Mush-
room plant in the town was opposed by
many when the composting, now gone,
caused a smell.
The removal of the railway bridge in
the 1990s, now the site of the roundabout
on Sparks Rd, also caused a stir.
It acted as a speed bump, Mr Smith
said, and slowed drivers down when it
was open road speed down the main
road. It was also a gateway to the village.
The railway itself, also gone, was an
important part of the town. He could
remember day trips to Lyttelton as a
There were no buses, and Mr Carpen-
ter said stores would not even deliver to
the town because it was considered out-
side the city limits.
There was a blacksmiths, used by
many in the rural areas, and the pub was
the last stop before home in the era of six
The residents used to be farmers or
they worked on farms. That had disap-
peared as early as the 1980s, with many
going to Christchurch to work.
Mr Gallagher is one of them. He is an
electrician and has most of his business
in the city, but treasures his roots in the
The development in the town is not a
recent happening. There were subdivi-
sions in the 1970s, and with the changes
in town planning it has happened in fits
Like the increased traffic as Lincoln
University grew, it is something the
three men take in their stride.
Though it might take a while to
become a local, as in any rural town, the
invitation is there for new residents to be
involved in the fabric of the community --
such as sports clubs and hall committees.
Celebration organiser Daphne McAven
-- a Prebbleton resident since 1968 -- has
worked to keep the heritage alive in the
village and has interviewed older resid-
ents to record their stories.
For more information about the
celebrations, phone Daphne on 349 8886.
Time to remember:
Church, damaged in
the 2010 and 2011
Tribute to church
THE HISTORY of the
earthquake-hit Union Church in
Prebbleton, which is facing demo-
lition, will be remembered on
The public are invited to go to
the church at 2pm and then for
afternoon tea at the Prebbleton
Hall on Springs Rd, where there
will also be displays related to the
church and its place in the area.
The little brick church was
opened in 1927 and replaced the
Presbyterian Church further
down Springs Rd.
The land was bought for £40
and the church built for £680. It
had electric lights and a stone
fence modelled on those of tennis
centre Wilding Park in Christ-
The bell and bell tower went in
1940 in a strong wind, and in 1972
the Presbyterian Church and
Methodist Church combined to
become the Union Church.
Links Archive August 15th 2012 August 29th 2012 Navigation Previous Page Next Page