Home' Central Canterbury News : October 24th 2012 Contents 2 CENTRAL CANTERBURY NEWS, OCTOBER 24, 2012
Published by The Press,
a division of Fairfax Media NZ
is delivered to over
P: 03 311 8704 | 027 487 3024
P: 03 311 8709 | 027 622 4594
P: 03 943 2826 | 027 205 1173
P: 03 943 2598 | 027 622 5012
P: 377 8778
P: 027 622 5011
PO Box 114,
Ph: 027 205 1173
Ph: (03) 313 6183
Jan Dec 2010
0508 787 887
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Let our experienced team take care of
your surveying and subdivision needs
and queries. Over 55 years experience
in the Canterbury area.
Free onsite consultation.
Fully equipped processing
factory on-site. One of the cheapest
processors in Canterbury.
79 High Street, Leeston
PH/FAX 03 324-3419
8 buns, 8 patties, 8 eggs, 8 bits of bacon,
1/2 kg tomatoes and a zingy sauce All for $26
That's under $3.50 a burger and
cheaper than most pies
And the whole family can have
fun making them!
Winners of the NZ BONE IN
XMAS HAM OF THE YEAR
Tanked and trashed
IT KEPT getting worse for a 27-year-
old disqualified driver who shot
straight through an intersection he
apparently failed to see and crashed
into an irrigation ditch in Rolleston
at midnight last Thursday.
He blew 1000mcg alcohol per litre
of breath -- two-and-a-half times the
legal limit -- and in the words of Con-
stable Mike Harker of Lincoln was
The driver was not injured, but his
speech was slurred.
He has been charged with excess
breath alcohol, driving while dis-
qualified and careless use of a
In a separate incident, a 56-year-
old Christchurch driver sailed
through a West Melton intersection,
lost control and smashed into a fence
on the other side of the road at the
weekend. His breath alcohol level
was almost double the legal limit. He
was not injured, but was charged and
his car was towed away.
Three other tanked-up drivers
were also caught in Rolleston at the
weekend. The men are to appear in
the Christchurch District Court.
The run of boozed drivers across
the district left police in the Selwyn
at a loss.
Rolleston Senior Constable Lois
Williscroft said the incidents were a
bit disappointing .
Hike prompts funding plea
FEE PLEA: Ross Carter-Brown and
Monique Wright will be paying more next
year to study at Lincoln University.
Photo: DAVID HALLETT
A LINCOLN student is calling on
the Government to increase tertiary
funding so students do not continue
being hit with fee rises such as the 4
per cent hike Lincoln University
announced for 2013 last week.
Ross Carter-Brown, who is in his
second year of a bachelor of science
degree, estimated he would have to
pay around $250 extra next year to
He said he realised the university
had extra costs, but hoped more gov-
ernment funding would alleviate the
burden on students who also faced
cuts in allowances.
The 2012 Budget restricted stu-
dent allowances to those studying
less than four years, meaning post-
graduate students were no longer
eligible for the grant.
He and partner and fellow student
Monique Wright both intended to do
post-graduate study. They had to
work harder to make the cut for the
one-year honours course, which is
included in the four years, rather
than look at masters which is not.
Otherwise they would have to take
on extra part-time work, which could
cause their studies to suffer as it
was already a full-time job .
He said the rise would only
increase the stress levels of students,
and he thought it could deter people
-- if the rises continued -- from ter-
Lincoln University Student
Association president Kent Lloyd
said the association had wanted a
zero fee-rise and the 4 per cent was
the maximum rise allowed, so he
While the rise may not seem mass-
ive it was all building up over time
when combined with the recent cuts,
and made it harder for tertiary stu-
Lincoln University vice-chancellor
Dr Andrew West said cost increases
had continued for the university and
despite expenditure reductions, a
deficit is forecast partly due to recent
seismicity in Canterbury .
Crash brings down power lines
PART OF Shands Road, Lincoln, was
closed for several hours after a ute
involved in a collision skidded into a
pole and brought down high voltage
power lines last Wednesday.
Orion linesmen were called to the
scene to deal with the 33,000 volt
live wires straddling the road in the
stretch between Boundary and
The crash occurred about 10am
when the driver of the ute failed to
give way at a sign and collided with
a 4WD driven by a local farmer.
The ute driver was taken to
Christchurch Hospital with minor
injuries. The other man was unhurt.
Constable Herb Inwood said the
pillar of the ute could have created a
blind spot for the driver.
Report charts saga of
recent E.coli incident
By GARY MOODY
THE ALARM bells may be ringing
around the Selwyn District Council
at some of the findings of an inde-
pendent report on the Darfield water
supply E.coli contamination in
August, but the bells weren t ringing
in Darfield at the time.
A gastroenteritis outbreak was
attributed to the contamination.
An Opus International report com-
missioned by the council is to be
tabled at a meeting today.
It stated an unfortunate lack of
communication meant an alarm
which signalled an empty chlorine
bottle had not been fitted and a full
bottle was left unused at the time of
The July 11 removal of an
autochangeover unit for chlorine
bottles on the town s shallow water
supply, used after the failure of a
pump on the main deep bore, was
meant to be accompanied by the
installation of the alarm.
The town s deep bore well pump
had been fixed and was back down
the bore on August 14, but had not
been rewired in because of bad
The contamination was found on
August 17 and the chlorination fail-
ure the same day.
It was not picked up through oper-
ational checks and inspection.
Discussions with council contrac-
tor Sicon and council staff revealed
there has been a deterioration in
communication between the two par-
ties , and there was confusion of
roles and allocation of responsibili-
ties in relation to the water supply.
The report applauded the decision
to send out boil water notices, but as
it was a weekend many residents
never received them in the mail until
In hindsight, it would seem that
all distribution options available for
notification should be considered if a
boil water notice requirement occurs
again. Additional options include a
direct mail drop, phone trees, text
messages, more public signage and
the use of cars with loudspeakers --
particularly around evening meal
Given the potential consequences
of a contamination event, no altern-
atives should be discarded for future
consideration, the report stated.
Selwyn District Council chief
executive Paul Davey said the coun-
cil had accepted the issue was due to
a chlorination failure and the likely
cause was faecal contamination of
the water supply.
We apologise to the Darfield com-
munity for this occurring and give
our utmost assurances that all meas-
ures are being undertaken to ensure
this does not reoccur.
The council is looking to
implement several key recommenda-
tions, including communicating with
the community in a greater variety
of ways when they need to boil their
Links Archive October 17th 2012 October 31st 2012 Navigation Previous Page Next Page