Home' Central Canterbury News : January 30th 2013 Contents 3
CENTRAL CANTERBURY NEWS, JANUARY 30, 2013
SCANPAN CHEF'S TORCH
Phone 03 308 8287
Tancred Street, The Arcade
Ashburton • www.kitchenkapers.co.nz
Monday-Friday 9am-5:30pm, Saturday 10am-1pm
The Chef's Torch,
perfect for caramelising creme brulee
and charring capsicums.
COOK LIKE A PROFESSIONAL
All prices include
fitting & balancing
Ph : 325 2129
23 Gerald Street, Lincoln
Kumho Pete says:
THE PRICE OF FUEL IS UP,
SO THE LAST THING YOU NEED ARE
TYRES THAT DON'T LAST
-- SO CHECK THIS OUT!...
50,000km warranty on our
Kumho 769/KH15 car tyres. 90,000km warranty
on our Kumho KL51 4x4 tyres
Tyre Team Lincoln, the only tyre dealer in the Selwyn District that
will guarantee the kms on your tyres IN WRITING!
Dr OLIVE WEBB
Working for you in your community
Phone: 03 3180880
Fire ban cools district off
A PROHIBITED fire season has
been declared in Selwyn District
after four big fires in just over
two weeks, with all fire permits
Under the restrictions, no out-
door fires can be lit. The burning
of crop stubble is also not
allowed. Gas barbecues with a
high pressure water source at
hand are allowed, but not char-
District principal rural fire
officer Wilson Brown said
Selwyn had experienced a num-
ber of significant fires over the
last weeks and a prohibited fire
season had been introduced to
help ensure that the risk of
additional fires breaking out
We also need to give our local
community a clear message that
the risk of fire is high and a total
fire ban is appropriate.''
Four major fires have
occurred in Selwyn District --
the first on January 10 at
Broadfields, followed by fires at
Thompsons Rd, Range Rd, and
at the New Zealand Defence
Force Rifle Range near West
Melton on Wednesday.
Our local volunteer fire
crews, including the fire service,
contractors and council staff,
have been extremely busy over
the last few weeks.
We need to consider their
health and safety, and also
the fact that they have to
drop their own work commit-
ments to carry out this vital
We need to ensure that we do
everything we can to allow them
to rest and recover from recent
fires, so that they are ready for
action when needed,'' he said.
The hot and dry conditions
affecting Selwyn currently mean
that the fire risk is high.
We recognise that restric-
tions on the ability of farmers to
burn crop residue will be frus-
trating, but our primary focus
must be on reducing the fire risk
in the district in order to protect
lives and property. We also need
to ensure that our local fire
crews have the opportunity to
have a break.''
Mr Brown said the council
would be reviewing the situation
regularly and would lift the
restrictions when safe.
to new year
By GARY MOODY
AWAITING DECISION: Yaldhurst
Model School deputy principal Ann-
Marie Garden back at work preparing
for a new year with the school's future
still up in the air.
THE GOVERNMENT'S school merger plan
is doing Yaldhurst Model School's roll no
favours at all.
The school opened for 2013 on Monday
and deputy principal Ann-Marie Garden
said the impact of the proposed merger --
with Gilberthorpe School in 2015 -- on the
roll would be clearer at the end of the week.
Children were expected to enrol through-
out the week and there was little
early indication how many parents, if
any, had decided to move their children to
However, the Ministry of Education's due
decision date on the school's future of
February 18 could have parents in two
minds, Ms Garden said.
If it was earlier, before the school year
started, the decision to enroll would be
easier for them.
In the worst case, they could commit for
the two years or enrol somewhere else, or
the school might be safe and things stay as
Ms Garden said once parents made the
decision to go to another school, even if the
merger proposal is overturned, they might
choose to stick with the decision, and the
disputed contention that the roll was drop-
ping -- a reason given in the proposal --
might be self-fulfilling.
Parents were still behind the school, she
said, though they had not canvassed them
formally on their plans.
The impending decision on the school had
weighed heavily on staff and it had been a
different'' break from last year.
The school had put in its submission last
year opposing the proposal; advocating that
parents need to retain the choice to send
their children to a school with a rural
nature, and the prospect of potential
growth in the roll with new subdivisions if
the zone was extended.
There has not been any feedback so far.
The school can put in another submission
within a 28-day period if it does not agree
with the February decision, with the final
call to be made in April.
Ms Garden said the school would use that
option if the merger was approved.
For now, it was business as usual.
The teachers are just planning for a nor-
mal year,'' she said, and it was good to get
back to work.
The campaign to stay open is ongoing,
however, with videos of support going on
Links Archive January 23rd 2013 February 6th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page