Home' Central Canterbury News : March 13th 2013 Contents 10 CENTRAL CANTERBURY NEWS, MARCH 13, 2013
Public Forum at Council and Community
Board Meetings. You may speak on matters of
concern during the first 15 minutes of each meeting
but please let us know well in advance. For council
meetings, please notify Sue Elder and for community
boards, please notify Marilyn Ponsford.
Township, Hall and Reserve Committees,
please note. If you wish to advertise your meeting
here, or make any changes to meeting details, please
let Bernadette Ryan know by 9am on Thursday
of the week prior to publication by emailing
email@example.com, or by phoning
347 2800 or 03 318 8338.
COUNCIL & COMMUNITY BOARDS
• Wednesday, 13 March, 1pm, Council Chambers,
The Council meeting is followed by a Citizenship
ceremony at 6.30pm which is open to the public.
Selwyn Waihora Zone Committee
• Tuesday, 19 March, 1pm, Executive Meeting
Malvern Community Board
• Monday, 25 March, 4pm, Darfield Library/Service
Selwyn Central Community Board
• Wednesday, 20 March, 4pm, Executive Meeting
Room One, Rolleston Council Buildings
• Wednesday, 27 March, 1pm, Council Chambers,
These are public meetings and the first 15 minutes
are available for the public to speak.
Darfield Township Committee
• Thursday, 21 March, 7.45pm, Darfield Library/
Doyleston Community Committee
• Wednesday, 13 March, 7.30pm, Osborne Park
Dunsandel Domain Board
• Wednesday, 20 March, 7pm, Dunsandel Sports
Glenroy Community Hall Committee
• Tuesday, 19 March, 8pm, Glenroy Hall
Hororata District Citizens Association
• Tuesday, 26 March, 7.30pm, Hororata Community
Killinchy Community Centre Committee
• Wednesday, 20 March, 7.30pm, Killinchy Hall
Kirwee Community Committee
• Monday, 18 March, 7.30pm, Kirwee Community
Lakeside Reserve Management Committee
• Tuesday, 12 March, 7.30pm, Ellesmere Aquatic
Leeston Park Association
• Monday, 25 March, 8pm, Leeston Park Pavilion
Lincoln Event Centre Governance Committee
• Wednesday, 13 March, 7.30pm, Lincoln Event
Prebbleton Community Association
• Tuesday, 12 March, 7.30pm, Prebbleton Hall
Prebbleton Reserve Management Committee
• Monday, 18 March, 7.30pm, Prebbleton Rugby
Rolleston Community Centre Committee
• Thursday, 28 March, 7.30pm, Rolleston
Rolleston Residents Association
• Monday, 25 March, 7.30pm, Rolleston Community
Southbridge Advisory Committee
• Monday, 25 March, 7.30pm, Southbridge Library
Springston Community Committee
• Monday, 18 March, 7.30pm, Springston Hall --
Springston Reserve Committee
• Wednesday, 20 March, 8pm, Springston Reserve
Errol Tweedy Pavilion
West Melton Community Centre
• Tuesday, 26 March, 7.30pm, West Melton
West Melton Reserve Board
• Monday, 18 March, 7.30pm, West Melton Domain
The Council is starting a "Take another look at intersections"
campaign this week. Over the past 5 years, 37% of all
crashes recorded in Selwyn District have happened at
intersections. 446 recorded crashes resulted in 3 fatalities,
while 61 people received serious injuries and 240 people
New billboards, adver tising, and road safety resources will
be used to increase driver awareness of the basic rules
that apply at intersections. They are designed to reduce
the number and severity of intersection crashes in Selwyn
Simple messages like "take another look at intersections"
and "stop means stop! No excuses, no exceptions" are
used to support the campaign. Call in to a Council library
or service centre to pick up your free note pad or pen.
1618 Leeston Road Leeston
Open Days 23 and 24 March
Come and have a look at the site, hear
about the project, and see the draft plans
Open between 9am -- 3pm
Our history -- Our stories
Tuesday 26 March
9am -- 5pm
Lincoln University research dairy farm
presenters -- Dan Bloomer & Paul Reese
For all Irrigation system managers
-- to improve their skills and knowledge.
Cost(plus GST): INZ members, $195, non-
members $250 (includes lunch, morning and
Modules covering: Regulation,
Scheduling, Operation and maintenance,
A mix of classroom and in the field
Analysing data from an irrigator walk
Practical learning that is of immediate use
Take home resources
Register at irrigationnz.co.nz/events or contact
Paul Reese at 03 341 2225 or 0277 314 433.
Lincoln University joins Lincoln Township
in celebrating their 150th anniversary with
a Community Day. There is something for
everyone young and old, ranging from
creepy crawly tours for the kids to wine
tasting for the adults.
Where: Lincoln University
When: 1.30--7.30pm, Thursday 21 March
This event is free and open to the public.
For more information see www.lincoln.
Prohibited Fire Season
A PROHIBITED FIRE SEASON remains in force over the whole of
the Selwyn District until further notice.
During the Prohibited Fire Season, it is an offence to light any fires in
the open air. The prohibition does not apply to gas barbeques lit on a property
serviced by a high-pressure water supply.
Minimise Fire Risk
The fire risk in Selwyn continues to remain high. There are a number of steps
you can take to reduce the risk of fire starting or spreading on your property:
• keep a clear space between your house, and buildings and vegetation like
trees, shrubs and long grass, to act as a fire break. Keep this space watered
and green if possible or construct it from non-flammable material like paving
• make sure your property number is easy to see, and that it has a clear
access-way four metres wide and high so that fire services can easily access
your property if needed
• keep a hose connected that can reach round the house
• store firewood and other flammable materials away from the house
• regularly check and maintain machinery and equipment so it is safe to
• dispose of ashes safely in a metal container and use approved incinerators
• keep grass away from under hedges
Check you have adequate insurance cover for fire -- it should include cover for
fire damage, fire fighting and public liability insurance.
Craft & Heritage Market
Saturday 23 March
10am to 1pm (off Gerald Street, Lincoln)
Come and celebrate 150 years of the settlement
of Lincoln at this fun-filled community event.
Join in traditional games -- tug of war, ring
toss, pioneer dress, family puppet show at
11.30am, live music, delicious scones and
cake. Period dress encouraged.
Details on www.facebook.com/lincolnmarket.
Links Archive March 6th 2013 March 20th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page